August 4, 2010

Mad Men Party Anyone?


Why is it that our best ideas always occur too late? For example, why did I not throw a party for the premiere of Mad Men. I love the show and I love to party plan. It would have been perfect! I guess I will just have to save these awesome recipes/ideas for another day. That is okay though, because I will be able to look at my Grandma's cookbook from the fifties/sixties. It has all of these tips on how to be a good housewife that make the cookbook awesome on its own, but the recipes are even better. I could take the easy route and recreate the recipes from Betty's around the world party, but I think some of these retro dishes would be way better. I thought that I would share them, before I forgot them all. Hopefully, you will read the post that recaps all of these dishes and my super party soon.

We would have lots of finger foods. We would start with rumaki, polish mistakes (okay these are actually one of my favorite foods) and a jello mold. Does anyone else think there are olives in this one?

I would also serve chips and french onion dip, Utz of course. This dish would be dedicated to Pete Campbell ( I think there's an episode where he talks about getting a chip server for a wedding gift or something). I would also serve deviled eggs and a cheese ball.



I don't drink, but no Mad Men party would be complete without an array of mixed drinks. These would include Old Fashioneds (for Don) and Vodka Gimlets (for Betty).



I might change my mind though and serve a real meal of these retro classics: Beef Wellington and Chicken Kiev.

For dessert, I would love to serve Baked Alaska, but would probably be better off just making a bundt cake. This pineapple-upside down one looks pretty appropriate to me.

So there you have it, my great ideas for a Mad Men party. Maybe I can throw one for the season finale. You might want to eat a snack before you come though...

3 comments:

  1. I would ABSOLUTELY come to a Mad Men party. I actually was just thinking about that the other day during the premiere, but since I don't cook, I was just thinking about '60s dress and drinks, but food would make it even better. We should absolutely do this. Who else do we know that watches this show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (So I thought I was done commenting but it turns out I'm not. Two more things.)

    1. Link your blog posts on facebook. This one especially is super fun and should be seen by more people.

    2. Clearly you are Betty (or a Trudy), so who can I be? As much as I would love to be a Joan I think I'm really much more like stupid Peggy (unknown pregnancy notwithstanding, obviously.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are the only person I know who watches the show, but pick a day and we will have the party. You probably are a Peggy. Maybe you could be a Rachel Menken or a Jane (I don't know if those are better though).

    ReplyDelete